District Council of Tumby Bay office is open from 8.30am Monday 23 November 2020.

Click here for updates to Council services.

If you are concerned about Coronavirus visit the Australian Government Department of Health website or the SA Health website for the latest medical advice and official reports.

Dismiss alert

Food Businesses

Starting a Food Business  

What is a Food Business?

Under the Food Act 2001 a food business means a business, enterprise or activity (other than a primary food production business) that involves:

  • the handling of food intended for sale
  • the sale of food

regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only.

Food business even includes businesses like the following:

  • chemists
  • cinemas
  • corner stores
  • petrol stations
  • swimming pools

All food businesses, from major food manufacturers to a local church group that holds a one-off food fair, have defined responsibilities under the legislation to ensure the safety of food.

Food Business Notification

Before starting food handling operations all food businesses are required to notify their local council of their existence by completing this form Food Business Notification Form(493 kb).

If a business has food premises in different council areas then the proprietor must notify each of the relevant councils.

If there are any changes to the ownership, contact details, location or nature of the food business they must also be re-notified before the changes take place.

Mobile Food Vending Businesses

The District Council of Tumby Bay has determined that mobile food businesses may operate from the sites shown in the attached PDF document.

Policy 6.02 Mobile Food Vendor Location Rules(259 kb)

Please contact Emma McDonald at District Council of Tumby Bay for more information.